Common Misused and Misspelled Words in the Wedding Industry

I know it's been quite a while (actually six months or more) since I last wrote a blog post...but I'm going to try and maintain some sort of consistency, even if it is only one post a week!

The reason for this post in particular is that I've come across misspellings and misuse of the words below, more than once or twice in the last couple of months.  And the bad news about that, is most of them were from wedding professionals!  Ack!!  If we as professionals don't get it right, how can we expect our brides to?


Anyway, let's start with the most obvious: 1) Stationary vs. Stationery.

"Stationary," spelled with an "a," is when something is not mobile or does not move.  Whereas, "Stationery," spelled with an "e," is the correct spelling for wedding paper or suites (i.e. Save-the-dates, invitations, thank you notes, etc...).

2) Reverand vs. Reverend. While one of these is a real word, the other is not even listed in the English dictionary.  I'll save you the time and tell you that "Reverend," with an "e" is the correct way to refer to a person of Christian clergy or refer to someone with the highest respect.

3) Altar vs. Alter.  Using the "a," the word takes on the meaning of an elevated structure or point of interest where religious ceremonies may or may not be held.  When using the word with an "e" it represents changing or modifying in some way.  For instance, the seamstress is going to alter the bride's dress.

4) Isle vs. Aisle.  The first word refers to an island.  More specifically it refers to a very small island.  "Aisle," on the other hand, is what a bride walks down to meet her handsome groom.


5) Piece of mind vs. Peace of mind.  Although "peace" with an "e" refers to calm and harmony, it is the incorrect way to use the word.  In this phrase, one is referring to giving a piece or portion of mind, not a peaceful mind.  So the proper way to spell it is, "piece" with an "i."

6) Bustle vs. Bussel.  The first word is the correct way to spell and refer to supporting or draping the back of a woman's dress.  Specifically, bustling the bride's train on her wedding dress. The second, again, is not in the English dictionary as a real word.

E's Wedding Dress Train

6) Grey vs. Gray.  This is a tricky one!  Grey with an "e" is most common in England and Gray with an "a" is popular here in America.  However, both are correct in referencing a color or state of mind.

So, to recap the proper use of the words above:

"The bridesmaids and groomsmen will remain stationary near the Reverend, at the altar, after walking down the aisle in a gray dress or suit, giving the bride and groom piece of mind. Following the ceremony and pictures, the wedding planner will help the bride bustle her dress. After the reception, the happy couple will leave for their honeymoon on the British Isles."

Some other common misspellings are fiance (he/Groom), fiancee (she/Bride), boutonniere, bouquet, processional, fondant, gorgeous, anniversary, and Christian Louboutin.

Thanks for reading and until next time, cheers!

I'd love to hear your feedback!  Please leave a comment below.